"Serving the County of Wise, the City of Norton, and the Towns of Appalachia, Big Stone Gap, Coeburn, Pound, St. Paul, and Wise."
|Unemployment Rates||Public Safety||Planning & Zoning|
|Tax Rates||Health Care||Mail Service|
|Major Employers||Media||Shopping & Dining|
|Leisure||Wise County Map
In the heart of the beautiful Appalachian mountains, you will find a community that doesn't long for days of yesteryear--less crime, less violence, less traffic, less stress. Our community never lost those attributes.
The lay of the land is more than 407 square miles of acreage with a low elevation of 1,400 feet and a high elevation of 4,200 feet.
While celebrating four distinct seasons, the area is fortunate to have mild weather year-round. The county's mean temperature in January is 34.2 degrees Fahrenheit and 71.8 in July. An average rainfall is nearly 47 inches, while snowfall is approximately 30 inches annually.
Source: LENOWISCO PDC
|*Big Stone Gap||5,614|
|City of Norton||3,958|
|Total of Wise County & Norton City||45,410|
|* within corporation limits only|
|Persons 65 years old and over||14.0%|
Source: 2010 Census Bureau Report
Wise County, the City of Norton, and the Town of St. Paul all have active Industrial Development Authorities.
Additionally, the County and City are both participants in the Virginia Coalfield Economic Development Authority. The VCEDA provides flexible, low-interest loans to enhance industrial growth and development.
- Wise County: County Administrator appointed by eight-member elected Board of Supervisors.
- Norton: Manager and five-member elected City Council
- Appalachia, Coeburn, Big Stone Gap, Pound, and Wise: Council/Manager
- St. Paul: Council/Mayor
Public School System
Wise County Vocational & Technical Center provides a wide range of traditional and non-traditional vocational opportunities. Its Electronic Classroom sends advanced placement courses via satellite to schools throughout Virginia.
Source: Wise County/Norton City Schools
A four-year, liberal arts, state-supported college offering Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees.
A member of the Virginia Community College System, MECC offers associate degrees, certificate programs and specialized training for business and industry.
Other institutions within three hours include: Virginia Highlands Community College, Southwest Virginia Community College, Virginia Tech, Radford University, University of Kentucky, University of Tennessee, East Tennessee State University, Old Dominion University at MECC, and Emory & Henry College.
Strong road systems intersect the county to provide quick access to the entire region.
United States Highways
- US 23 North-South (4-lane divided)
- US 58A East-West (4-lane divided)
- US 19 North-South (4-lane divided)
- I-75 North-South
- I-81 North/East-South/West
- I-77 North-South
- I-26 North-South
- Thirty trucking lines
- Federal Express (FedEx)
- United Parcel Service
- Purolator Courier
- Norfolk Southern Railway
- CSX Railroad
Scheduled Air Service
Tri-Cities Regional Airport, Blountville, TN
- Allegiant Air
- Delta Connection
- US Airways Express
Lonesome Pine Regional Airport, Wise, VA
This regional facility has a 5,280 foot lighted runway with hangers, AV gas, and jet fuel.
- Amvest Oil & Gas
Water, Sewer and Solid Waste
Water is provided through water systems operated by each of the towns, the City of Norton, and the Wise County Public Service Authority. Total combined capacity for all of the systems serving the County, as permitted by the Virginia Department of Health, is 11.8 mgd (million gallons per day). At this time, total combined production in Wise County is 6.0 mgd, leaving 5.8 mgd available for economic growth.
Sewer service is provided by Norton and the individual towns, in cooperation with the Coeburn-Norton-Wise Waste Water Authority. Total capacity is 6.9 mgd.
Wise County provides landfill services for residents and industry. Contract collection service will be provided for industries located outside municipal corporate limits. Norton and each town provide residential and commercial service.
|Myrtle Beach, SC||420|
|New Orleans, LA||754|
|New York, NY||632|
|St. Louis, MO||531|
|Virginia Beach, VA||462|
Wise County/City of Norton
- BB&T - Big Stone Gap, Coeburn, & Wise
- Carter Bank & Trust - St. Paul
- Farmers & Miners Bank - Wise
- First Bank & Trust - Norton, Wise
- First Community Bank - Pound
- Miners Exchange Bank - Appalachia, Coeburn, Norton, St. Paul, Wise
- New Peoples Bank - Big Stone Gap, Norton , Pound
- Powell Valley National Bank - Big Stone Gap, Wise
- TruPoint Bank - St. Paul
- Wells Fargo - Big Stone Gap, Norton
Civilian Labor Force
2012 Annual Average - 23,317
Estimated Labor Potential
|Annual New Entrants||700|
|Residents Commuting Outside County to Work||2,500|
Distribution of Employment
|INDUSTRY||% OF TOTAL|
|Agriculture, Forestry & Fishing||0|
|Transportation, Communication & Utilities||2|
|Finance, Insurance & Real Estate||2|
Source: LENOWISCO PDC
The number of sworn officers in each of the departments in the city and county is as follows:
|Big Stone Gap||16|
|Wise County Sheriff's Department||60|
The six incorporated towns, Norton and Powell Valley District all operate fire departments. Within the County, there are 39 fire fighting vehicles and 190 fire fighters.
The Wise Fire Department, in conjunction with the Coeburn Fire Department, maintains a regional 2E Hazardous Materials Team.
Rescue Squads & Ambulance
Wise County has five volunteer rescue squads and three private ambulance services.
Norton, the County, and each of the towns have an existing zoning and subdivision ordinance. Each jurisdiction has a land use plan. Each has an appointed planning commission.
In addition, Wise County and the City of Norton belong to the LENOWISCO Planning District Commission. LENOWISCO provides comprehensive planning and technical assistance services to each local government within the Commonwealth's Planning District One.
|Jurisdiction||Real Estate*||Meals**+||Personal Property*||Lodging**+||Machinery & Tools*|
|Big Stone Gap||.44||6%||.62||5%||.62|
*Rate Per $100 Value
**Percent of Gross Receipts
+Plus Applicable State Sales Tax
Tax information was provided by local municipalities and the Wise County and City of Norton Commissioners of the Revenue.
- Mountain View Regional Medical Center, a Member of Wellmont Health System - 133 (Includes Long Term Skilled Care)
- Norton Community Hospital & Mountain States Health Alliance, - 129
- Lonesome Pine Hospital, a Member of Wellmont Health System - 60
- VA Clinic, Wise
Wise County Health Department, Wise
There are numerous area medical clinics owned by local hospitals and/or private physicians
- Heritage Hall, Big Stone Gap
- Heritage Hall, Wise
- Mountain View Regional Medical Center's Long Term Skilled Care of Norton
- The Laurels Retirement/ Assisted Living Facility
Home Health Agencies
There are several home health agencies serving Wise County and City of Norton. Services provided are skilled nursing care, personal care aids, physical therapy, speech therapy, hospice care, and case management through a social worker. All providers have 24-hour emergency services.
|Big Stone Gap||1|
|East Stone Gap||3|
- Austin Powder Company
- Carter Machinery Company
- Coca-Cola Consolidated
- Crutchfield Corporation
- Fasmart Convenience Stores
- Food City
- Greater Wise, Inc./Humphrey's Enterprises
- Holiday Inn
- Ingle's Super Market
- Joy Manufacturing
- Lonesome Pine Hospital, a Member of Wellmont Health System
- Lowe's of Wise County
- Mountain Empire Community College
- Mountain Empire Older Citizens
- Mountain View Regional Medical Center, a Member of Wellmont Health System
- Mullican Flooring
- Norton City Public Schools
- Norton Community Hospital & Mountain States Health Alliance
- Norton Press, Inc.
- Old Dominion Power Company
- Paramont Coal Company Virginia, LLC
- PayLess Super Markets
- Peebles Department Store
- Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company
- Atria Inn & Suites
- Red Onion State Prison
- Sykes Enterprises, Inc.
- Thompson & Litton
- The University of Virginia's College at Wise
- Virginia Dept. of Transportation
- Virginia City Hybrid Energy Center
- Vulcan Materials Company
- Wal-Mart Stores
- Wallen's Ridge State Prison
- Wise County Public Schools
Source: Wise County Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- WKPT - ABC - Kingsport, TN
- WDBJ - CBS - Roanoke, VA
- WJHL - CBS - Johnson City, TN
- WYMT - CBS - Hazard, KY
- WEMT - FOX - Greeneville, TN
- WCYB - NBC - Bristol, VA
- WETP - PBS - Sneedville, TN
- WSBN - PBS - Norton, VA
- WAXM - FM 93.5 & AM 1220
- WDXC - FM 102.3
- WEZC - FM 99.7
- WIFX - FM 94.3
- WKVG - AM 1000
- WVTF - FM 90.5
- Bristol Herald-Courier
- Kingsport Times-News
- Roanoke Times-News
- The Coalfield Progress (Bi-Weekly)
- Clinch Valley Times
- The Post
- Cloverleaf, Big Stone Gap
- Powell Valley Shopping Center (Wal-Mart, etc.), Big Stone Gap
- Marty Shopping Center, Coeburn
- Norton Commons (Wal-Mart Supercenter, Burkes Outlet, etc.), Norton
- Norton Plaza, Norton
- Norton Square Shopping Center, Norton
- VA-KY Regional Shopping Center (Ingles, etc.), Norton
- Indian Creek Shopping Center, Pound
- Pound Shopping Center, Pound
- Riverside Shopping Center, (Rose's Store) St. Paul
- Ridgeview Centre (Ollies, Dollar Tree, Belk, etc.), Wise
- Wise County Plaza, (Tractor Supply, Peebles, ect.) Wise
- Wise Shopping Center, (Payless) Wise
Wise County and City of Norton residents are fortunate to have several restaurants featuring steak, seafood, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, and classic American menus.
- CrossFit Stone Mountain
- Elite Fitness and Nutrition
- Fit One (Norton Community Hospital)
- Lonesome Pine Country Club
- Regional Rehab
- Municipal swimming pools
- Community parks
- Bristol International Raceway*
- Central Drive-In
- Cinema City Norton
- Hillcrest Lanes Bowling
- Lonesome Pine Raceway
- Park Avenue Theater
Festivals, Events & Fairs
- Coal/Railroad Days, Appalachia
- Best Friend Festival, Norton
- Clinch River Days, St. Paul
- Dock Boggs Festival, Wise
- Chillin' and Grillin' in the Glades, Wise
- Gathering in the Gap, Big Stone Gap
- Guest River Rally, Coeburn
- Home Craft Days, Big Stone Gap
- Pound Heritage Days
- Virginia-Kentucky Fair, Wise
- Wise County Fall Fling, Wise
- Ralph Stanley Bluegrass Festival, Coeburn
*Denotes activity or site in the region but outside the County
The County and the region are served by several libraries--
Holdings for these libraries number approximately 502,313 volumes, including audio/visual materials.
NEED MORE INFORMATION? Contact the Wise County Chamber of Commerce at firstname.lastname@example.org.